Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Lady Named Margaret

I spent most of my summers as a child on my grandparents' farm. My grandmother, Margaret, managed to remain a refined woman even in the midst of life on a farm. Whether she was feeding the animals, cleaning stalls or countless other farm duties, she always wore a pretty dress with what she called a brooch. Additionally, she wore an apron, her watch (so she never missed Bonanza at 4pm), stockings, and a sturdy pair of low-heeled black shoes. She was a quiet woman. I never heard her raise her voice or curse and my sister and I could certainly be a handful. She led a pretty austere existence on the farm. It wasn't a home with a lot of pretty things in it, but she managed to add little touches of beauty here and there. From the way she dressed everyday, to the beautiful china she served every meal on (three times a day), to the pretty silver brush/comb/mirror set on her dresser. She wasn't one to show a lot of affection, but you knew you were loved. She was no nonsense, but I will never forget the time she traveled to North Carolina with us. We stopped at a gas station and for some reason they had a little monkey in a cage. I will never forget how she shook its little hand, and how she thought it was the funniest thing. She wasn't one for having her picture taken, but it looks like she may have been trying to crack a smile in this one.


This is Rosine's Sampler by C Street Samplerworks, but I've made it Margaret's Sampler. She always favored blue, so I stitched it in GA Summer Shower.


Sadly, I don't have anything of her's to treasure, but I do have many wonderful memories. She has been gone for 25 years and I would give anything for one more day on the farm with her.

19 comments:

Laurie in Iowa said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories of your grandmother. I think she'd be honored to have a sampler stitched in memory of her.

Margaret said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandmother! I love the sampler you stitched for her. So beautiful. And hey, she has a wonderful name too. lol!

cucki said...

truly it is a great and wonderful tribute to your grandmother..the sampler is so beautiful that you stitched for her.

Chris said...

Lovely memories of your Grandmother. What a sweet way to remember her.

TheCrankyCrow said...

That's so very sweet Penny....at least you have a lovely photo of her - and some treasured memories....I only had one grandparent living during my childhood and she had so many grands that there wasn't much one-on-one time for any of us....Love your sampler tribute. Wishing you a bliss-filled Sunday my new-found friend....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Krista said...

What a lovely post about your grandmother. It reminded me of the time..and many summers.. I stayed with my grandparents when a child. Memories to last a lifetime. The sampler you stitched is such a beautiful tribute. Enjoy your Sunday!

Sally said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother.

Karen said...

Penny, your grandmother sounds like she was a beautiful person. How nice of you to honor her with a lovely sampler!

Mindi said...

The sampler is beautiful, and i love the soft floss color you used. It seems like the perfect tribute to your grandmother.

Stitching Cat said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts of your Grandmother. You brought back my thoughts of my Grandmother and I, too, would give anything to have one more day with her. Your sampler in her memory is beautiful.

Lois said...

What a lovely piece as a tribute to your Grandmother. My maternal grandmother loved to stitch but sadly I never knew her as she passed away when I was 2. I often wonder if that is where my love of stitching has come from.

Lynn said...

This is a wonderful tribute to your grandmother! Thank you for sharing her with us.

Carol said...

Your days on Grandma Margaret's farm sound so wonderful... I love the piece you've stitched in her honor. My dear grandma died 28 years ago and I still miss her as well--weren't we lucky to have such special ladies in our lives?

Unknown said...

That's a very good way to remember her.
I love your sampler and i think that see would love it.

My Grandma passed away in 1989 and i don't have many pic's of here, but i have the memories.
She was always knitting socks in a big rotan chair, so i do know where my love for crafting come's from.

Hugs Yvon.

Dona said...

What a beautiful post about your grandmother! She would be so honored that you remembered her through your post and your needlework.

Our grandmothers sound so similar! Mine also always wore a dress, with a brooch, an apron and a watch. She watched Bonanaza every day and had a crush on Hoss, of all people! She embroidered me a table cloth for a wedding gift. Her wonderful Southern cooking was always served at the dining room table on her pretty china.

Thank you for sharing your stories; it reminded me of some wonderful memories.

marly said...

My grandmothers and aunts never wore pants. Ever. They lived into their 90's and always dressed like your grandmother with the low heeled shoes, hosiery, and dress. They were all tough cookies, but enjoyed being a "lady". My aunt never went to a function without her white gloves!

Karoline said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandmother.

diamondc said...

Your Grandmother is beautiful, you did a lovely piece in honor of her.
Catherine

Joy said...

Your grandmother sounds so loving...a lot of memories are made on farms...no need for "things". Your sampler is beautiful!